Industrial Systems: robust industrial software development for 24/7 manufacturing
Precision and quality focused embedded software engineering
Our industrial software development teams have experience in building robust and reliable embedded software for new industrial products. We also have a proven track record of taking on projects involving industrial embedded systems where we inherited an existing code base. In both situations we have the same goal: we work with the client to provide them with the software development skills needed to deliver their technical requirements, quality needs and larger business.
Our software development teams have helped products achieve success in manufacturing and logistics environments, including:
- Food and beverage
- Oil and Gas
Many of these products are part of industrial control systems.
We have experience in developing industrial software solutions for precision systems across a range of uses, including industrial pumps, assembly lines, and gas analysis.
Past projects have included modernising code bases, to add new much needed functionality for end users, and improved overall code quality. This includes refactoring source code to enhance existing product lines and increase system reliability. More recently, we’ve worked closely with clients seeking to develop next generation products with new connectivity options, improved user interfaces, and product updates to increase efficiency and decrease environmental impact to help the client sell into new markets.
Our industrial systems clients have looked to us for years for reliable software development, maintenance and feature upgrades across a range of product lines. As their embedded software partner, we work closely with them to release new products to market, helping them to become world leaders in their space.
What Bluefruit Software brings to industrial systems
- Quality focused Lean-Agile development processes: Habitable refactoring of legacy software or clean development of new systems, all using a test first approach.
- Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and connectivity solutions: Extensive IoT and connectivity experience, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth. RS232/RS485, Cloud, edge computing, Embedded Ethernet, RFID and more.
- Reimagining user interfaces: With Embedded Linux and Qt, led by the latest UX thinking.
- Cyber security: Risk-aware cyber security experts ready to assess software with an eye to global regulatory standards.
- Reduced power consumption: Experience in refactoring existing software to make it more energy efficient—helping our clients and their customers meet sustainability goals.
- Precise dosing: Development knowhow to bring precision to systems involving fluid and materials transfer, helping end-users to also reduce waste.
- Real-time: From real-time event handling to data collection, our engineers have experience in motors, controls, sensors, alerts and data capture.
- Modular support: Development and testing practices suited to bringing software to modular products and systems to meet all customer customisation needs.
- Software that’s easy to update: Past client projects have included custom secure bootloaders, USB based updates, and cloud-based, over the air and Ethernet updates.
- Artificial Intelligence: Expertise in machine vision and machine learning for clients and internal neural network R&D, sees the team ready for AI in embedded projects.
Bluefruit embedded software skills for industrial system requirements
- Multiple languages, including C, C++, C#, Assembly and more
- Motor control experience including Brushless DC (BLDC) motors, Stepper Motors, AC motors and PMSM motor control
- Writing bootloaders and firmware
- Bare Metal Programming
- Real-Time Programming and Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS)
- Embedded Linux
- Embedded Windows
- User Interface development including using Qt
- AI for embedded
- Experience working with a number of different types of Sensors
- Connectivity and interoperability technologies
- Digital Signal Processing
- Development for a range of processor architectures (ARM, MIPS, x86, AVR and 8051) and microcontroller brands used in embedded (Microchip, Atmel, Nordic, ST and NXP)
- Programming for harsh environments
- Writing applications to connect embedded systems with Windows, Linux and Mac OS
- Agile technical practices on embedded platforms such as TDD, BDD, CI build servers and living documentation
Take a look at our skills pages for more information on the specific technology and disciplines we can develop and bring to your industrial system.
Why is psychological safety critical to managing software risk?
Are you wondering what it really takes to prevent hazards and harms from embedded devices and systems? The tool many organisations are missing from their software development and product teams’ toolboxes:
You can download your copy of Why is psychological safety critical to managing software risk today. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to the concept or need a refresher; in our new ebook, you’ll learn about:
- What is psychological safety?
- The four stages vital to building psychological safety within teams.
- How psychological safety diminishes project risk.
- Project management practices that work well in organisations with psychological safety.
- How two businesses squandered psychological safety and paid the price for it.
Industrial systems case studies and insights
❝ Bluefruit provide a professional, innovative and technical team in a very friendly environment. They display a culture of continuous improvement in everything they do for us, this and their positive approach to every challenge makes them a great partner to work with. ❞
❝ Paul and his team have worked with us on a number of projects and bring an extra dimension to software product development in terms of their commitment and technical expertise. ❞
❝ A 'can do' approach shines through on each project, with customer satisfaction very much at the top of the list. ❞
❝ With years of working together, we regard Bluefruit as a valued extension of our internal product development team. ❞
An embedded software team that can fit and flex with your project needs
Does your next project focus on bringing older technology into new compliance needs? Are you looking to add new features to compete with an ever-changing marketplace? Do you need help developing software to drive automation, ensuring greater resource efficiency? No matter the project—Bluefruit has a multidisciplinary team of embedded specialists for you, including Embedded Software Engineers, Test Engineers and Quality Analysts.